I do a few things: all of which have to do with writing.
- I am a columnist for HT Brunch. Have been a columnist for Mint Lounge and The National.
- I write books. Have written four books and two on the way.
- I love textiles and founded Project LooM, a website that showcases India’s handloom clusters.
- I do podcasts about Sanskrit, birds and wine.
- I am fascinated by Indian aesthetics, food and wine.
- I am currently learning French, Kannada and Hindi.
- I am an enthusiastic if poor dancer.
- I try to get fit without exercising and lose weight without dieting
Below is my official bio in third person for you to use.
Short Bio: under 100 words
Shoba Narayan is the author of four books. She has been a journalist and columnist for 25 years, writing for a number of national and international publications. She has written about travel, food, wine, culture, crafts and philanthropy, and has won a James Beard Award for her food writing. She has taught and lectured at universities. She founded and co-created a website called Project LooM, which documents the weaving traditions of India. She is a birdwatcher, wine-drinker and gadget geek. Her lifelong mission is to get fit without exercising and lose weight without dieting.
She graduated from the Columbia Journalism School which awarded her a Pulitzer Fellowship; and is an alumnus of Mount Holyoke College and Women’s Christian College.
She writes about food, travel, fashion, art and culture for many publications. They include the New York Times, Condé Nast Traveler, The National, Financial Times, Destinasian, The Atlantic, Gourmet, Time, Quartz, and a number of airline publications among others. In the past, she has written for the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Newsweek, Knowledge@Wharton, and other publications.
She has also done radio work for NPR as commentator and Radio New Zealand as its overseas correspondent. Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie decided that Shoba was eccentric enough to be a character and featured her in five episodes– trailer here.
She has taught at IIM-Bangalore and the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
She serves as a trustee on the board of Neev Academy and Industree Foundation.
Besides writing, she watches birds, quaffs wine, visits restaurants and enjoys gadgets. She loves the work of Carl Jung and is interested in dance, somatic therapies and holistic health. Her lifelong mission is to get fit without exercising and lose weight without dieting.
More photos available here.
Bio in Google Docs here